Friday, September 10, 2010

I am going to destroy everything you care about

There's has been a strange and recuring theme I've encountered during the CFZ journey.

It is what I call the "destroy everything" mentality and I must confess I'll never understand it.

It goes like this, somebody dies as the result of an accident. It most often involves an animal but it can just as well be a plant or an inanimate object.

Suddenly a whole bunch of humans want to kill or destroy everything that looks vaguely like the animal or thing they now blame for the accident.

Australian's used to be brilliant at this. One or two people a year are killed by sharks off our coast. The Australian response used to be to go out and kill all the sharks we could find.

"That'll teach 'em". The problem is, of course it doesn't.

The same thing with Dingoes, snakes and most recently, Magpies.

Yep, Magpies. A boy being chased by a Magpie ran onto a road, was hit by a car and later died. "We'd better go out and kill all the Magpies!" "Why didn't somebody already kill all the Magpies, they are clear threat to the human species", "when it comes to choosing between a Magpie and a child it is a no brainer"...

...it certainly is, it certainly is.

We'll never know all the facts. Clearly this is just an accident involving a child, a passing motorist and a bird who's species has been defending its nests this way for thousands if not millions of years.

Humans seem to have a mad desire to attribute blame. In our haste it usually ends up wrongly applied.

In a forum whree the Magpie incident was being discussed, I suggested that going out and killing everything that posed a threat to the human species may not be such a good idea.

Wow, did I get shot down...well they tried. ;-) I was accused of being "a rampant greenie". Okay, I'm just going to ignore you now...but to my chagrin I often don't ignore them.

I further pointed out that if we were going to adopt a "kill every threat to humans" strategy we'd better start by taking out the biggest threat, ourselves!

Boy had I misjudged my audience. My arguments flew so high above their heads and were far too subtle for the majority. Yeah, I know...unbelievable!

Not for the first time did this response make me think "why do I care?", "Why do I even bother pointing these things out?".
After all, it won't be my kids living in the resulting "Field of Bogans".

Anyway, not much further down the track the whole planet will be wiped out one way or another. Ultimately the future doesn't exist. All we have is now and we are killing it.

The things I care about, wildlife, nature, the planet as a whole and well, most things really, are not respected by a great many people. They seem to forget where they are living.

So many people feel they can destroy what I and many others care about because they don't understand it.

It is lucky we don't all act this way. But if you keep pushing me guys...remember, I don't understand you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
Your comments will be posted after erview by our moderators.
David