Monday, February 28, 2011

The vandals won't ever read this


Why are we wasting our breath?

I am betting that if you are reading this are probably already of a mindset that finds what I am talking about acceptable at some level.

I am preaching to the converted.

This was once again driven home to me when an intelligent couple I know announced that they were having their third child.

I love them to death but for the life of me I couldn't muster anything but anger. All I could think was "vandals".

I suffered in silence. It was too late. The baby is already on its way. Anything I said would just sour the relationship. But that's not the point.

The point is, these people have been close to us, listened to and understood our choice. They understand the plight of the planet. They recreate in areas affected directly by human pollution and over population.

They probably know on some level that what they are doing now will directly affect the lives of their own kids. Their kids and their kid's kids will live in the mess...if living is possible.

Yet they choose to reproduce for growth rather than sustainability (or better still reduction).

While the "experts" pretty much always get it wrong, I think the perceived risks for the future are enough to take precautionary measures.

So tell me, if intelligent people don't get it, what hope is there that the dummies will cotton on? So that is everyone but you and me right ;-)

Just what the hell has to happen for the global sustainability message to get through?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
Your comments will be posted after erview by our moderators.
David