Thursday, February 06, 2014

Draining the gene pool one photo at a time

This may not be a revelation, but it seems to me that the omnipresence of digital cameras and camera phones is the cause of humanity's latest and greatest dip in intelligence and parenting.

Today I was sent a link to a web site called "why-my-kid-is-crying".

If you can be bothered looking at it, I certainly didn't get far into it, it becomes clear that a great many parents prefer to take pictures of the kids being arseholes instead of...well...being actual parents.

Now parents may counter by saying "sometimes there's just nothing you can do".

Sometimes, maybe. All the time, as these photos imply? Bullshit.

Hell, there's even a picture of me being an arsehole baby way back in the late 1960s.


This is me, in the pitch dark, crying for no reason in the middle of the night, shaking the shit out of the cot.

Apparently I did this a lot and so Mum's frustrated response was to take a flash photo of me.

Now I don't know how old I was, but I swear I can remember that flash scaring the shit out of me. I didn't do that again (so I am told).

That was an exception though. Today all parents, all people, are walking around with cameras 24 x 7 and instead of dealing with a situation they photograph in the hope of becoming an internet sensation.

Meanwhile your kids head is eaten by a camel...


...and again, you'd think someone would learn, but no, these scro's aren't perturbed...


A few things happen when you take photos instead of acting to prevent an accident or just living your life:

A) Your child gets eaten, killed, injured

B) Your child is mentally scarred for life if not by the event itself then by the fact/subsequent-realisation that his parents don't care and are in fact arseholes.

C) Life passes you by while you take pictures that you'll probably never look at again once you've posted them on the internet.

Maybe I have read the situation incorrectly. Maybe parents are giving their kids a practical demonstration of quantum mechanics.

Maybe they are demonstrating that the act of observing changes the outcome.

Less so than doing something that is.

Based on technological and parenting trends none of this is going away or being fixed. Technology will march on and parents will have an ever increasing array of distractions and tools with which to film their offspring being injured...

...and that makes it harder for us to hide from this shit.

P.S. This one is my fault, sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
Your comments will be posted after erview by our moderators.
David